Plan, implement and maintain a bereavement program that supports the families/caregivers of the deceased for up to one (1) year after the patient’s death.
CHARACTERISTIC JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure that a Bereavement Assessment is done within 5 days of admission as part of the comprehensive assessment.
- Development and implementation of the Bereavement Plan of Care for the bereaved following the hospice patient’s death. The Bereavement Plan of Care is developed using: The bereavement assessment, the risk assessment, input from the IDG re: bereavement issues during care of the patient as well as at the death visit, and interaction with the bereaved following the patients death.
- Provide bereavement support to hospice personnel coping with work related grief.
- Provide education to the IDG regarding bereavement issues.
- Provide memorial services, grief support groups, community education, sends mailings, bereavement calls, bereavement visits, and other services when deemed necessary.
- Provide referrals to community resources and professional services when deemed necessary.
- Assume responsibility for self-development by continually striving to improve his/her Bereavement practice through formal education, attendance at workshop and conferences, active participation in professional and related organizational meetings, and/or individual research and reading.
- Must be flexible to accept other duties needed or assigned by the resident or institution.
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor or management.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Must work cooperatively with all members of the team, following EEO rules and regulations, to accomplish a resident centered culture.
- Must demonstrate strong leadership and organizational skills.
- Must show respect for residents, families, and fellow employees in all actions.
- Must have a high degree of integrity.
- Must respect the resources of the organization.
- Must follow all infection control procedures and guidelines.
- Must present professionally in proper uniform according to Employee Handbook.
- Must demonstrate attention toward quality service according to Federal and State Regulations.
- Must respect all resident rights according to Federal and State Regulations.
- Must maintain confidentiality according to Federal and State Regulations.
- Must follow all Organizational policies and procedures.
- Must participate in continuing education as required.
- Must process adequate equipment skills to complete daily work tasks including but not limited to the copier, fax, computer, and other electronic devices.
- The ability to work cooperatively and collegially with others, consistent with a workplace of dignity and respect and EEO rules and regulations.
- The ability to report to work as scheduled, ready to devote full attention and energy to the important work of LECOM.
- The ability to accept work directives from managers and supervisors in respectful and cooperative manner.
Education and experience equivalent to:
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or related field
- Experience with counseling individuals and/or groups
- A qualified professional with experience or education in grief or loss counseling
- Two years related experience preferred
- Must be a licensed driver with a an insured automobile in good working order
- The ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing
- LECOM’s full time employees enjoy the availability of an industry leading benefits package including:
- Highmark BC/BS Medical Insurance with employee-only coverage costing only $35/ month!
- Full Family Medical Insurance is only $230/month!
- Employees with LECOM Medical Insurance can take advantage of waived co-pays and deductibles at LECOM physicians and Millcreek Community Hospital.
- 403(b) Retirement Plan with Employer Matching of 133 1/3% after completing one year of service!
- Paid time off accruals – vacation, personal, and sick
- Life Insurance and AD&D Insurance is provided to all Full Time employees at no cost!
- Employee referral program
- Employee appreciation/recognition events
- Employee assistance program and discounted membership at the LECOM Fitness and Wellness Center
The LECOM Institute for Successful Aging is an Equal Opportunity Employer