LECOM Millcreek Community Hospital, an equal opportunity employer, is currently searching for a Cook Supervisor, 2nd Shift 12p-8p with weekend availability.
SUMMARY: Under the supervision of the Dietary Manager, prepares,
seasons and cooks food for hospital patients, employees, staff and
visitors. Supervises and coordinates activities of Dietary and
Snack Bar/Gift Shop Departments during the manager’s absence.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Reviews menu summaries to determine type and quantities of
meats, vegetables and soups to be prepared.
2. Plans cooking schedule to ensure that food will be ready at
specified times. Confers with the dietitian regarding modified
3. Prepares or supervises washing, trimming, cooking and seasoning
of food items for each meal.
4. Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes using a variety
of kitchen utensils and equipment such as blenders, mixers, grinders,
slicers and tenderizers to make sauces, soups, stews, casseroles and
5. Bakes, roasts, broils and steams meats, fish and other foods.
6. Observes and tastes food being cooked and adds ingredients or
seasonings to improve flavor or texture as needed.
7. Tests food being cooked by tasting, smelling and/or piercing, taking
temperatures to determine that it is cooked to proper doneness. Adjusts
heat controls and timers on ovens, grills, fryers, etc., as required.
Procures foodstuff from refrigerator, freezer or other storage areas; may request others to assist.
Carves portions of meat, fish and fowl for individual servings and
Prepares or directs distribution of food to serving units for the most
efficient service order. Apportions servings according to menu
combinations or orders for patients.
10. Provides assistance on the line such as tray set-up, serving, salad
11. Maintains cooking area in a clean, neat and orderly manner.
12. Assists with the program to order such items as meat, poultry, fish
and other foods for use in preparing meals.
13. Supervises dietary employee’s meal tray preparations. Supervises
Dish room operations to assure that proper techniques are used and
that established procedures and standards are kept in all work areas.
14. Inspects trays for attractiveness, palatability and temperature of food.
15. Supervises pot washing areas and various cleaning jobs to ensure that
sanitation requirements are met.
16. Trains new employees as needed as well as assists with the orientation
of employees into new positions.
17. Assists in covering any or all of the duties in the kitchen, tray line,
cafeteria service and dish room as required by staffing problems.
18. Inspects each work station at the end of each shift to ensure that all
areas are in satisfactory condition for the next shift.
19. Must maintain a current record of attendance to the required inservices
as determined by the institution on an annual basis.