ER RN Unit Leader
Millcreek Community Hospital
SUMMARY: Directs and supervises functions and activities in the Emergency Room. Implements and interprets policies, procedures, standards, and regulations for personnel, patients, and medical staff. Performs duties in any nursing capacity as needed.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Prepare work schedules, assign personnel as needed, evaluate work performance.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety, environmental and Infection Control standards.
- Evaluate, prepare, institute written documentation as required by the profession and department.
- Organizes, directs, and coordinates functions and activities in assigned units.
- Provides direct patient care, evaluate outcomes, consult with other specialists as required.
- Adjust nursing care processes as indicted to ensure optimal patient care.
- Monitors medical condition of patients and reports changes to appropriate personnel.
- Assists physicians with examinations, procedures, and other processes related to direct patient care.
- Assists attending physicians and aids families as needed in times of stress or crisis.
- Ensures adequate stock of supplies and proper functioning of equipment.
- Delegates various duties to staff.
- Adjusts staffing to meet needs and to provide adequate coverage of unit.
- Inspects area for compliance with policies, procedures, regulations, and standards and takes corrective action when violations occur.
- Ensures accurate maintenance of patients medical records and that patient records are treated as confidential information.
- Promote efficiency, health, comfort, and safety of patients and staff.
- Maintains required unit records, reports and statistics for administrative purposes and budget preparation.
- Coordinates emergency functions with other nursing and hospital departments.
- Serves as liaison between hospital and paramedic/E.M.T. services. Establishes and maintains free communication between administration, emergency department staff, physicians and ambulance services.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s Degree or Associate’s Degree with experience
Minimum Experience: 5 years emergency room skills
Required Certification/ Current Pennsylvania RN license
Registration: CPR, A.C.L.S., C.E.N. (Preferred)
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Prolonged, extensive, or considerable standing/walking
Lifting, pushing, pulling, transporting
May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases
Contact with patients under wide variety of circumstances
Exposed to unpleasant elements (accidents, injuries, illness)
Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
May perform emergency care
Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
Occasional pressure due to multiple calls and inquiries
Requires judgement, action which could result in death of patient
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skill required of personnel so classified.