Health Information Management Technician
The Health Information Management (HIM) Technician is responsible for duties and processes related to medical record retrieval, assembly, maintenance and processing. The HIM Technician safeguards and protects patient’s right to privacy and maintains confidentiality.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Retrieves and assembles paper medical records to prepare for scanning to Electronic Medical Record (EMR).
- Scans and indexes documents ensuring all documents are routed appropriately to EMR.
- Reconciles and files daily discharges.
- Purges documentation in accordance with hospital retention policy and State/Federal regulations.
- Examines requests for information for HIPAA compliance and valid authorization.
- Retrieves medical records as needed for requestors by utilizing variety of electronic systems.
- Fulfills requests for release of medical information upon receipt of a properly executed authorization to a variety of requestors
- Processes subpoenas, court orders, legal requests and other non-routine requests for information in addition to routine requests
- Maintains log of correspondence received and records released in accordance with Department policy.
- Answers telephones promptly and courteously. Routes calls, takes messages and provides routine information to customers as appropriate.
- Responsible for safeguarding patient records and protecting patients’ right to privacy by ensuring compliance with HIPAA standards and maintaining confidentiality in all phases of work.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Minimum Education: High school or equivalent
Minimum Experience: 0-2 years of related experience required
- Strong written and oral communications skills
- Computer/keyboarding skills and working knowledge of office equipment operations required.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- High level of work quality
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize work
- Ability to work individually and as a team
- General knowledge of Pennsylvania and federal HIPAA regulations regarding proper release of information procedures preferred.
- Prior exposure to EMR, especially Meditech, preferred
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skill required of personnel so classified. I have read the job description and fully understand the requirements set forth therein. I hereby accept the position and agree to abide by the requirements set forth, and will perform all duties and responsibilities to the best of my ability.