- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance program, safety, environmental and infection control standards.
- Interviews patients and family members to obtain information about home environment, family relationships, health history, and patient’s personality traits.
- Evaluates data gathered in terms of the medical plan of treatment, available social service programs, and plans a pertinent therapy program that will provide each patient with maximum benefit.
- Assists patients and families to understand, accept, and follow medical recommendations.
- Utilizes resources to help patient resume life in the community or to learn to live with the disability.
- Interprets nature of illness and prescribed course of treatment to patients and families. Communicates family issues to other staff members. Participates in planning conferences.
- Assists in developing discharge and post-hospital care plans.
- Collaborates with other hospital programs and community agencies with which patients and families are involved.
- Prepares and maintains required documentation on each case.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, inservice meetings, and workshops.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Screens all inpatient admissions for possible discharge planning needs.
- Represents hospital on various boards and organizations in the community.
- Provides supervision to social work interns from area colleges and universities.
- Completes PA600 Medical Assistance applications when appropriate.
- Provides consultation and co-signs medical records for Millcreek Community Hospital’s intermediate care facility, Millcreek Manor.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Education Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work
Membership of the Stroke team includes mandatory hours of education annually specifically related to diagnosis/assessment and management of acute stroke/ cerebrovascular disease.
Minimum Experience: Clinical experience
Experience in the following:
Typewriter, computer, photocopier, and telephone
Registration: Valid PA driver’s license
English Language Skills: Must be able to read, write, and speak the English Language in an understandable manner.
Physical Demands: Frequent prolonged standing/walking
Occasionally lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients
Occasionally lifts supplies and/or equipment
Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
Working Environment: Subject to many interruptions
Frequent pressure due to multiple calls and inquires
Occasional home visits
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skill required of personnel so classified. I have read the job description and fully understand the requirements set forth therein. I hereby accept the position and agree to abide by the requirements set forth, and will perform all duties and responsibilities to the best of my abilities.